Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

Max and I enjoyed our first Memorial Day weekend. It was truly nice to be able to take a deep breath and not have to rush off in the morning. We enjoyed a music festival, we did some house projects, we saw some friends, and we went sailing for the first time with our friends Brent, Heidi and Griffin. Nothing like a one and three year old on a boat together. Entertaining for sure!!

It's also been a month since his first surgery, and he is just healing so well. His scar is visible if you know what to look for, and he is still wearing his nose stints, which we'll try to keep in there as long as possible to have his cartilage reshape. We clean his nose with saline solution, and also put a small silicone strip on his scar to help with the healing process. These are little events he does NOT enjoy (I'm sure it's really sensitive), but we get through them o.k.

Of course there are little memories made every day, and I wish I had time to write them all down. Here are some fun ones to remember: Max has been starting to drink out of a glass. No sippy cup - he's going for the ultimate test right away. That's been very fun to watch. Also, the last part of our bedtime routine involves me singing him some songs while he's lying in his crib. Now usually, he would start to cry when I would leave. Now, however, he waves good-bye before the second song is over, almost like "yeah, o.k., I know this one already. You can leave now, Momma!" He has discovered the volume control on my clock radio, and loves to turn it up full force... at 6:00 A.M. Then, when a song is playing, he starts to dance, swinging his hips back and forth, and looks back at me as if to say "Oh yeah, check out these moves..." And lastly, his transitions at morning drop off have lost the red-face crying episode. Now we enter the room, sit for a little bit together, saying hi to some of the kids, I say goodbye, and he reaches for his teacher, Cathy, without tears. When I pick him up, however, it's still the same laughing fest as before. I hope we never loose that!!




1 comment:

Shep said...

My daughter sat right behind you at the Festival...She texted me that she was sitting right behind Max! LOL
I gave her a bad time for not introducing herself to you ....You two are very similar. She is leaving in August for a month working at an orphanage in Africa...