Thursday, April 30, 2009

First Surgery... check!

Max had his first of three surgeries on Tuesday. They basically fixed the outside of his face, connecting the lips, and shaping his nostrils with nose stints. Here is the play-by-play!

We arrived at the hospital at 12:30, had a series of appointments with the surgeon, the anesthesiologist, and nurses, all of which were helpful and informative. At 1:45, they took Max, which was really hard! And then came the three hour wait.

My friend Jemae was with me, and hooked me up with some of my favorites: a Symphony bar, Odwala protein juice, coca cola gummy bears, and an Outside Magazine. I was set. The hospital gave me a beeper while we waited, and when it went off to let me know there was an update from the nurse, I jumped!

I got to be with Max in the Recovery room. He was just waking up when I walked in, and he tried to smile! Melted my heart away, I tell ya! Then we went up to our room, which we shared with another family whose 3-month old baby had just had her lip repaired as well. Hans joined us later with some food, and both Jemae and he were able to stay until about 9:30. Such good friends!!

Then the night began. As expected, it was a little rough, not only because Max was cranky, but mostly because he was hooked up to all these tubes and machines, whose cables kept getting tangled when I held him. And when they didn't pick up the right information, the alarms would go off, and the nurse would have to come in and fix things. I lost track of how many times that happened that night. Max is also wearing these velcro sleeves that are preventing him from touching his face. He'll have to wear these for the next two weeks.

But around 5:00, he turned a corner, and was more alert, and happier, even taking his bottle. By 8:00, I took him on a walk in a hospital stroller (no more machines!!); truthfully, I need a cup of coffee! At 9:30, we were seen by the nurse practicioner, who told us we could go anytime I felt comfortable. Great, except that Max decided to take a really long nap (which he so deserved), so we didn't leave until 2:30.


Once home, Max was back to his usual business, although a little more subdued. He slept great last night, only waking up twice for food and more meds. Today was also a great day, although his face is more swollen today (something the doctors warned us about). He is still on several different pain killers, mostly Oxycodone, baby Tylenol and Motrin. I'll continue these until the weekend, and then see how his pain is doing.

Thanks for all your warm wishes and thoughts. He is truly a trooper!!

3 comments:

Shep said...

That is so awesome that it went so well, I get a little choked up looking at the pictures of the poor little guy! I have spent many hours at Children's myself, I'm very glad things went well and he is home. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures and the links...

Mike Brennan said...

Go Max!! If only I could be as strong. Wishing Max a speedy recovery.

Hope all is well,

Mike Brennan

Velcro said...

Congratulations, Max! I can't get over how different his face looks! Glad to hear you're getting some sleep now (both of you!)